# = Hashtag – A hashtag allows you to place your tweet into a category (subject) that is taking place. It links to other real time conversations’ that is also using the same hashtag word. For example: #socialmedia – allows your tweet to be linked to everyone else who is using the same hashtag word.
@ = A symbol that is put before someone’s username allowing them to be notified of your tweet. Ex:
That’s an interesting tweet!
Avatar = Is your personal image/picture that you upload to your twitter profile.
DM = Direct Message is a private message between you and the recipient.
FF = Follow Friday – you would use the hashtag symbol (#) before the FF and list others by adding the (@) before their usernames indicating that others should follow the people you indicated in your tweet.
Followers = People (twitter users) who follow you.
Handle = Twitter handle is the username you have selected with the twitter url – ex: www.twitter.com/laurindanyintro is mine.
RT = Retweet – which means that you liked someones tweet enough to retweet it for your followers to see.
What should you tweet about
- Businesses can use twitter to offer coupons or special deals
- Post URL to your business blog or website with some information
- Solve people’s problems
- Post pictures of your products, office, stores, personnel (with their permission of course) – better yet, post some fun pictures from around your office or store
- Post random quotes – don’t always make your tweets about business
- Provide valuable information to your followers – maybe some fun facts
- Retweet other users tweets
Purpose of Twitter for Business
- Build brand awareness
- Content distribution
- Helps to improve website ranking
- Drive followers to your business blog or website
- Lead generation
- Keep up with competitors
ALWAYS BE REAL AND GENUINE. DO NOT BE TECHNICAL. BE FRIENDLY AND CASUAL. DO NOT SPAM AND REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN!
Previously on dbmei.com:
Laurinda Handlik, NY Introductions (social media marketing) 631-670-6079